Most often for the kitchen, the table is chosen from solid wood, glass or more budgeted chipboard or MDF with veneer. At the same time, dining tables made of wood are still in high demand. Pros and cons of wooden kitchen tables are as follows:
What should I focus on when choosing?
How to choose a table for the kitchen? There are several aspects here that must be taken into account:
- Kitchen tables should be chosen taking into account the rules of ergonomics. It is recommended to maintain a distance of 80 cm from the table to the wall so that you can easily sit, stand and move the chair. And around the dining group (along with the chairs) should remain openings a width of not less than 100 cm.
- The form should correspond to the proportions and dimensions of the room, its overall design and the number of people who will be dining here. So, round and oval models fit best in spacious kitchens, and square and rectangular - in small. If the design is dominated by smooth lines, then the table should have oval outlines. If the design concept is built on laconic geometry, then the countertop is desirable rectangular.
- Functionality. The most practical are sliding and folding structures or tables-transformers. There are also tables with drawers for storage.
- Material. When choosing a specific tree species, the purchase budget, as well as the physical properties of a particular option, are taken into account. We will describe this below.
- Design. Kitchen tables should harmoniously fit into the interior in color and style.
Choose the design, shape and size
For a small kitchen, the optimal size of the kitchen table will be a square model 90x90 cm as in the photo below.
The standard rectangular shape of the table top also economically takes up space, but it is spacious enough. On the next photo, the dimensions of the table are 120x70 cm. At this table, without any discomfort, a family of 4 people can be accommodated.
In the interior of spacious kitchens, or kitchens, combined with a living room or dining room are appropriate massive wooden tables.
And if you like the round table, its diameter can be in the range of 90-150 cm. By the way, the round kitchen table is the safest, because there are no sharp corners in it. But do not forget that such models are more suitable for dining rooms and kitchens from 10 sq. M. m, because it can not be moved close to the wall.
Although in a small kitchen, if the family is small, you can put a round table, especially if it is sliding, as in the photo below.
However, if you like round tables, but the kitchen area is too small, then choose a table in the form of a semicircle - it can be attached to the wall. It can be foldable and folding.
Oval models are much more likely to be seen in modest in size spaces, in addition, they are perfectly combined with soft corners.
In the design of kitchen tables, decisive importance can not have a table top, but the shape and type of legs. For example, the round table will ideally look like a single central leg, richly decorated with carvings or otherwise decorated.
Rectangular, oval, round, square and any other wooden kitchen tables can theoretically have any number of legs, usually from 1 to 4. Most often, table tops rest on carved balusters, curved legs or standard straight.
For square and rectangular countertops, today is a table in the style of garden European tables.
Folding tables in the interior of the kitchen
It should always be remembered that the table for the kitchen should not only be attractive, but also durable, and comfortable.
Therefore, for small rooms often choose folding (with folding cover) or sliding (with additional sections) model. Wooden table-book, if necessary, will accommodate at least 10 guests, and in folded form will occupy seats no more than a curbstone. The wooden folding tables of IKEA are very popular, in the photo below you can see the popular models of Ingatorp, Norden, Bjurst in the interior.
What kind of tree should I prefer?
- You should know that the wood is divided into soft and hard varieties.
- Soft trees include pine trees (pine or spruce, fir and cedar, juniper), as well as chestnut, alder and willow materials, to hard beech and oak, elm and larch, birch, apple and rowan, and the hardest are cornel, yew and white acacia. The method of its processing directly depends on the density of the material. So, a soft tree requires the application of several protective layers, and a hard one, even with minimal processing, guarantees durability. But in any case, do not forget about the need for proper care for the wooden table and the need cover a table with a tablecloth, serving trays and napkins.
- By the way, the choice of wood is important not only in terms of practicality, but also in terms of design, because each wood has its own unique textured pattern and a special color. For example, pear, birch, pine or apple-tree boards are very light, like alder, ash and larch. But the brown, reddish shades, down to the most saturated chocolate - are plum and oak boards, as well as wenge, teak and mahogany. In addition, modern technology of surface treatment allows you to change the natural color of wood "beyond recognition." So, oak boards are bleached, getting spectacular very bright surfaces with the effect of "antique". Change the color of wood can be a special varnish.
When choosing a table for the kitchen, it is necessary to take into account the wood species and its main characteristics:
- Pine - soft, suitable for furniture only after it is covered with several protective layers of varnish. But the pine is cheaper relative to other breeds. Furniture of domestic production is often made from pine - firstly because of demand, and secondly - coniferous trees in our country more;
- Oak - is strength, hardness, wear resistance, lack of propensity to rot and resistance to mechanical influences, refers to the average price category;
- Nut - very durable, but heavy. Here you can create the most magnificent openwork carved ornaments - the nut does not crack. This tree species belongs to an expensive segment;
- Lime is characterized by plasticity and can be easily processed, so here the most original ornaments are possible. But the lime tree is necessarily treated with stain, because pests are located in it;
- Hevea is from the tropics - in Russia furniture from Hevea is brought from Malaysia. This breed is remarkably resistant to high humidity and tolerates temperature changes without cracking, and therefore - great for the kitchen;
- Wenge is characterized by an unusually beautiful structure, wood with good hardness, strength and resistance to shocks.
The wooden dining table will be an ideal choice for the kitchen and will create an atmosphere of warmth and coziness here.