In English, "Loft" means "loft". In addition, this word denotes the upper premises of the warehouse. This style began to gain popularity in the middle of the 20th century in the USA, when the empty warehouse and industrial premises were actively transformed into living quarters and offices. Today, the influence of Loft style has spread to the whole world thanks to its distinctive features, which play into the hands of the owners. People are fascinated by the space that accompanies this style and the combination of up-to-date materials, techniques with aged interior decoration, vintage plumbing and furniture, characteristic for the times of industrialization.
Today we will learn the peculiarities of this iconic style for Americans, the options for decoration and decoration in the Loft kitchen, together we will take a look at interesting photos, and also reflect on whether Loft and the small kitchen are compatible.
4 main features of style
First, let's look at the characteristic features of the style:
- A sign difference is a combination of ultramodern materials with restored floors, brickwork and rough plaster on the walls, with pipes "in sight". The merger of the new and the old here looks harmonious nowhere.
- High ceilings that set the tone for space. Excellent fit in the repair in the spirit of the Loft, for example, in an apartment in the "stalinka", in a pre-revolutionary building or in a new building with an individual layout and high (preferably even high!) ceilings.
Loft style kitchen in the attic
- The room is divided into zones, not rooms: using furniture, color or lighting, space is divided into functional purposes. The living room is most often a continuation of the kitchen, and may differ slightly in color.
- Non-standard decoration items, reminiscent of the "factory" origin of the premises, will look very useful here.
Ideas for overhaul
At first it may seem that the design of the kitchen in the Loft style is a low-cost business, because everything there looks "factory-like" roughly and deliberately unfinished. However, repairs with deliberate negligence and appropriate finishing here require a lot of money, both financial and labor. Sometimes a brick in the interior of the kitchen turns out, as they say, "from the builder", when you only need to get to it in the process of repairing and finishing the walls. If the brick was not used in the construction, it is possible to depict an imitation of a brickwork, for example, with wallpaper with a pattern. In this case, if the kitchen is small, then we advise you to limit the brickwork to only one of the walls, and the neighboring ones can be covered with decorative plaster, stone or even leave the concrete foundation.
If the latter is too extreme for you, then you can dispense textured monophonic wallpaper.
Advice: an excellent alternative to brickwork - glass blocks. An example of how you can successfully beat them in the interior of the kitchen, see the next photo slider.
The flooring should be wood-based - laminate or parquet, preferably glossy, recycled and varnished / oiled.
More wear-resistant finish of the floor is a large or on the contrary small metlakh tile, as, for example, in the photo below.
Ideas for finishing the ceiling suggest to be taken from the next collection of photos.
Furniture and accessories
Furniture in the style of the Loft can be both deliberately modern, and have a touch of antiquity - on the contrasts, this style and holds. Few where you can combine different textures and materials, and cuisine in the style of Loft - an excellent springboard for this. Take a look at the following photos: a glossy set, a glass apron and chrome hood here easily "get along" with rough wooden shelves, and a brick wall in the kitchen organically adjoins the chairs in velvet upholstery and curtains on the floor.
Furniture can be zoned space, for example, when the living room is combined with the kitchen, you can separate it with a bar counter, island or sofa.
Curtains are an optional decorative item that can be neglected. Otherwise, you can choose Roman curtains or drapes in the floor as in the photo below. The main condition - curtains in loft style should be strict in style and sewn from natural or quality combined fabrics.
Kitchen in the style of Loft mean a lot of sources of lighting. In addition to the natural light emanating from the uninstalled windows, it is necessary to take care of artificial lighting. Luminaires in Loft style are usually made of metal and glass and have simple shapes.
Also, it can be emphasized industrial options, such as large bulbs hanging on the cords.
And you can go on a different path and choose an underlined modern lighting equipment as in the following photos.
- Young-green. It is interesting to look at the contrast of factory coarseness with fragility flowers and domestic plants. Build wooden shelves specifically for plants, the greens perfectly dilute the severity of Loft style. Check this by looking at the photo.
- Loft does not tolerate "loneliness", try to design in this style at least adjacent rooms, for example, if the living room is integrated with the kitchen, and better - the whole house. A decent pair Loft will play its "brethren" - minimalism, high-flow, strict classics.
- Size matters. If the quadrature of your kitchen does not have two-digit figures, and you want to join the fashion style, you do not need to be discouraged. For example, you can combine kitchen with balcony, thereby launching more light into the room. But it is best to unite the small kitchen with the living room, then you will only strengthen the illusion that this is not a typical apartment, but a former industrial premise without partitions.
- Color registration. The characteristic colors of furniture, textiles and finishes for Loft style are brick red, burgundy, brown, dark green, blue, beige, gray and contrasting white and black.
- Non-standard decor. Unusual objects of decor will only emphasize the individuality of the kitchen Loft: it can be real vintage items from factories and factories, modern art items, traffic signs, graffiti on the walls, in a word, all the most unconventional and bold that one can imagine.
We hope that the photos and advice on the layout of the Loft kitchen will help you arrange it according to all the canons of style. Let your life also be full of light and there will always be a place for everything unusual and unconventional.