Kitchen - this is almost the main room in the apartment, in which a variety of family affairs are committed - from cooking and eating to work and children's games. We often drop something on the kitchen floor, we pour something, we walk around it a lot and often we rub it. Therefore, higher demands are placed on the kitchen floor!
The most common questions that arise when choosing a floor for the kitchen:
- Is it possible to put a laminate on the kitchen floor?
- Which material is better: laminate, tile or linoleum?
- What distinguishes ceramic granite from ceramic tiles and stone tiles?
In this article we will try to answer these and other questions, give useful advice and consider the five main types of floor coverings with their pros and cons, evaluate the characteristics of materials on a 3-point scale in the table for the following 7 criteria:
- Hygiene - The kitchen floor, of course, should be easy to care for, every day it is exposed to a lot of pollution, moisture, fat and household chemicals;
- Moisture resistance - on the level of humidity, the kitchen loses only to the bathroom, and besides this, liquids are sometimes spilled here. Which floor will be better tested with water?
- Wear resistance - the coating should not rub, tarnish and deteriorate, a good floor in the kitchen can serve you for at least 10 years;
- Shock resistance - drops of sharp and heavy objects sometimes happen in the kitchen, what kind of floor with dignity will withstand the attack of a cast-iron frying pan or knife?
- Price - The ideal floor in the kitchen is not necessarily expensive, but expensive - not necessarily perfect. What kind of gender is more profitable to buy the average Russian resident?
- Appearance - choosing a flooring design is a matter of taste, but we will try to evaluate this subjective question. We appreciate decorativeness, ability to imitate natural materials and variability in color and textures;
- Ease of installation - What kind of floor can I install on my own, and in which case is it better to use the help of a master?
The main types of floor coverings in the kitchen
Today the floor is most often made of:
- ceramic tiles;
- porcelain stoneware;
- natural stone;
Each of these materials has unique properties, advantages and disadvantages, which can be briefly reflected in the form of a table (where "3" is the highest indicator and "1" is the lowest one).Comparative characteristics of floor coverings for kitchens
|TOTAL:||15.5 points||18 points||14.5 points||14 points||17 points|
|Ceramic tile||Porcelain tiles||A natural stone||Laminate||Linoleum|
|Ease of installation||2||2||1||2||3|
So, as you can see, the choice of floor for the kitchen is an individual matter, and there is no universal solution, and the high cost is not yet the guarantee of an ideal floor for all parameters.
Based on these data, determine your favorites and find out more about their pros and cons later in this article.
Floor made of ceramic tiles - the most popular floor in the kitchens of the whole world
Perhaps the most popular option among flooring is the floor of ceramic tiles. With ceramic tiles you can create a unique floor design for your kitchen. Manufacturers offer a great variety of tile pattern variations - monochrome in a variety of colors, with floral or floral motifs, geometric and abstract patterns, and imitations for natural stone, various metals and wood.
The material is no less variable either by the way of laying - the tiles are mounted diagonally or in parallel, in checkerboard pattern and even with a "Christmas tree".
- PLUSES: Practicality, high hygiene (it is no coincidence that tiles are placed in our hospitals), wide variation in the choice of masonry and tile design, ecological compatibility, complete non-conductivity, resistance to ultraviolet and household chemicals, the possibility of local repair;
- MINUSES: The floor of the ceramic is cold (therefore, when choosing this option, think about installing the system "warm floor"), Tiles can be damaged when kitchen utensils fall, in addition, this kind of floor is complicated in installation for lay people, the price for tiles varies greatly and now you can find a decent tile at an affordable price, but still it is more expensive than laminate or linoleum.
- For the kitchen materials of grade 3-4 of wear resistance and hardness of 4-5 units are preferable;
- Choose a matt ceramic tile that will not slip when moisture gets in;
- You can get an interesting spatial effect if the floor tile is supplemented with similar (in color or texture) material in facing the kitchen apron;
- When choosing a ceramic tile, carefully check its quality - the slabs should have smooth edges and exact, same dimensions.
See material on the topic: How to lay the tile on the floor with your own hands.
Porcelain tiles - альтернатива керамической плитке и натуральному камню
Porcelain tiles – по своему составу является ближайшим родственником обычного облицовочного кафеля, но изготавливается он по другой технологии, благодаря чему становится практически не отличим от натурального камня. По уровню эксплуатационных качеств керамогранит выигрывает и у камня, и у керамической плитки (за счет меньшей пористости, большей плотности и отсутствия микротрещин).
People are increasingly choosing porcelain stoneware for their kitchens, but this material has not only advantages, but also some drawbacks.
- PLUSES: High strength, fire resistance, durability, decorative (this material adequately imitates stone, wood, metals and even fabric), does not fade in the sun, is completely ecological and easy to care for;
- MINUSES: The high cost, the complexity of the installation (it is better to put the tile from the porcelain tiles professionally), this kind of floor is cold, so it is desirable to supplement such coverage with a heating system.
A natural stone на кухонном полу – выбор для кухни класса люкс
The kitchen floor is made of natural stone - it's luxurious. Noble, special, unique - this will be your kitchen, if you decide to use natural stone.
- ПЛЮСЫ: Appearance, высокая прочность. Срок его службы измеряется десятилетиями - и на протяжении всего этого срока kitchen floor останется такой же красивый, каким был сразу после укладки;
- МИНУСЫ: Этот материал стоит значительно дороже всех других видов покрытий, он сложен в уходе и плохо сохраняет тепло (так же требует установки системы «warm floor»), сложен сам монтаж, кроме того, он имеет существенный вес - а потому может даже потребоваться усиление перекрытий.
Laminate – любимчик российских кухонь
No less common than the tile version of the kitchen flooring and a decent replacement for the parquet board. Most often in the kitchen it is laid trying to withstand the uniform registration of the whole apartment for reasons of economy, or simply because it is pleasant in appearance and familiar. But is the laminate suitable for the kitchen? Yes, it is suitable, but only its moisture-resistant type with increased water-repellent ability!
- PLUSES: This is the most affordable option for floor covering, so if you change the interior often, then your choice is laminate. He is not very susceptible to mechanical damage. Traditionally, the surface of the laminate imitates wood, and it does this quite qualitatively;
- MINUSES: It can withstand only the undisturbed effects of steam, water, fat, and if you pour beet juice, most of the laminate floors will be painted. This is a synthetic material that can absolutely not suit fans of naturalness and environmental friendliness.
- Laminate на кухне нуждается в повышенном внимании – следите за тем, чтобы трубы не протекали, соседи вас не затапливали, а пролившиеся жидкости быстро вытирались;
- Be careful with the beet - laminate floor can easily be painted and then do not wash!
Linoleum – заслуженный и всем знакомый материал
The floor for the kitchen of linoleum - for someone it seems irrelevant in our days is a cover born in the 90's. But this opinion is wrong, because today the linoleum is made in a different form - better and more modern. In addition, it is really a practical and profitable solution.
- PLUSES: The number of various colors and textures is impressive - there are various (and very good) imitations of wood, marble, ceramic tile and even snake skin. This material has an attractive price, high performance and durability - the average life of the material is 9 years. This floor covering is undemanding in care and can be mounted by the owner of the room with his own hand, which is also an indisputable plus;
- MINUSES: To make the linoleum look beautiful, you need the floor in the kitchen to be perfectly flat.
- Which linoleum is better for the kitchen? The service life of the material largely depends on its category - the least durable is household linoleum, and semi-commercial and commercial coatings due to the increased thickness of the protective layer are practically impervious to wear;
- If ecological compatibility is important for you, choose a linoleum with a natural substrate;
- Linoleum можно просто положить, а можно приклеить. Второй вариант значительно лучше.
Well, here we have compared the main types of kitchen floors. It remains only to prioritize, assess your budget, choose a color and design, make measurements and find your ideal floor in the store.
We wish that in your kitchen floor as little as possible comes across the fall of sharp knives and heavy pans, with spilled beet juice and liquids. Let him be always beautiful, well-groomed and serves your family long and true!