The urgency of using short curtains for the kitchen is obvious: practical in use, perform the necessary functions, have a decorative function, depending on the interior. On how to choose the best option for curtains for the kitchen, consider next.
Advantages and disadvantages
The kitchen usually has small dimensions compared to other rooms in the apartment. Therefore, it is necessary to equip the interior so that everything has a logical layout and appropriate dimensions.
The use of short curtains in the interior of the kitchen has a number of positive aspects:
- Do not burden the space (the room seems more spacious and "light").
- Easy to care for (short curtains are easier to wash, iron).
- Do not "steal" the height with a low ceiling position.
- Pollution occurs longer, since the main dust and dirt are collected at the bottom.
- Keep unimpeded access to the windowsill (even when the curtains are closed).
- They give the possibility of equipping the zone near the window (put a table, a bar, etc.).
- They are a budget version of the decoration for the window (sewing is cheaper, the fabric diverges less).
Among the shortcomings can be identified:
- Do not fit in the kitchen with low ceilings.
- Re-use in another interior is almost impossible, since such curtains are sewn for a particular window, given its features.
- With installed old radiators in the kitchen, they can not close their appearance.
The advantages are much greater than the shortcomings, so short curtains in the kitchen are quite popular.Choosing the optimal version of curtains, you should pay attention to the layout of the room, functionality, ease of cleaning, the appropriateness of the application in this case.
Varieties of short curtains
Short curtains can be placed on the window in the traditional way (on the cornice at the top of the window), also on the window (roller blind). There are quite a few varieties of short curtains lately, as their popularity has increased.
The kitchen uses the following types:
1. Traditional curtains. Usually, these are two swinging pieces of fabric, can be supplemented with tulle. Mounted with the aid of the eaves for various fastenings (eyelets, hinges, hooks, clothespins).
2. Traditional curtains of urban type. Remind the usual curtains, only in a shortened form. They have an elegant appearance, they usually have a monophonic color, but there are also printed ones. More often used without tulle. They have the same fastening, as well as traditional curtains.
3. Rural traditional curtains. Lightweight natural fabric and a variety of shapes distinguish such curtains from traditional. Usually this is a short element at the top of the window and one or two in the middle (from the middle to the bottom, fasten to the doors). Romantic style of decoration (frills, ruffles, ribbon, lace) in the rustic style are of primary importance.
4. Modern curtains. This category includes a large number of types of curtains: Japanese, Roman, roll, blinds (horizontal, vertical, pleated). When choosing curtains, it is possible to combine their types among themselves (for example, roller blinds on windows can be combined with Japanese, etc.).The most popular in the modern world are Roman, roll and Japanese curtains.
Roman curtains is a fabric that when folded (adjusting the height of the curtain) forms harmonious folds. It is possible to lift such curtains either manually or with a mechanism.
Practical for such kitchens, where there is a need for protection from the sun with varying degrees of intensity. Can be attached to the top of the window on the ledge, and also fixed to its leaf.
In the first case, the blind closes the entire opening of the window, there is access to the window sill when the curtain is raised. In the second case, the sill will be permanently open for access.
The advantages of Roman curtains include style, originality, access to the window sill. Disadvantages - the complexity in the maintenance (the support system must be removed from the fabric before washing, this requires some effort).
Roller blinds more often used as an element of decor. They are a dense fabric (more often - natural composition), which has a bar (roller) in the lower seam, onto which the curtain itself winds.
And its height is regulated. For fixing, two tapes (bundles) are used. It looks rather unusual and modern. Such a curtain is fixed in both the window opening and above the window on the cornice.
When fully unfolding the fabric can completely close the opening. Does not affect the visual quality of the kitchen, it is suitable for any style of interior, easy to care for - you need a normal washing.If the roller curtain has the form of blinds (specially impregnated material, which is folded by means of a manual mechanism or an electric drive), then it can not be erased.
Roller blinds, что крепятся именно на оконный проем как жалюзи, можно сочетать с другими видами штор.
Japanese Curtains are fabric elements that are similar to panels. Their movements are like pushing the doors in the closet compartment. Suitable for kitchens that are decorated in a low-key style or minimalism, high tech, and also in more free styles - ethno, eco, pop art.
Look impressive and stylish. Capable of visually "raising" the ceiling line. Can be used in different combinations of textures and color solutions.When choosing short curtains, it is necessary to pay attention to the location of all elements of the kitchen - oven, extractor hood, sink, as with possible contamination of the curtain it must be cleaned.
Some of the curtains are difficult to maintain, so easier maintenance options are used near pollution sources.
Nuances of choice or what to look for
When choosing curtains, many characteristics of the kitchen space are taken into account:
- Style. Under modern design, rural blinds are hardly suitable. That is, take into account the style of the room in the first place.
- Ease of maintenance. In those kitchens where there is no hood, and often there is a cooking process, you need easily removable curtains from fabrics that can be easily washed or cleaned.
- Functionality. The sunny side of the kitchen requires enhanced protection from sunlight, so if functionality is a priority, then decorative options should not be chosen.
- Density of the fabric. If a small amount of light enters the kitchen even during the period of solar activity, then thick fabrics should not be used. Suitable transparent and light textures that are capable of transmitting light.
Choice of curtains is an important moment in the selection of elements of comfort and functionality, so your own comfort and sense of harmony will be important.
Short curtains for the kitchen photo