What is the bulk floor and why is it also called self-leveling?
The floor in the kitchen has a number of advantages over the more usual coatings (linoleum, ceramic tiles and so on). Among them are the following characteristics:
- Resistance to moisture;
- Increased strength, long service life, abrasion resistance;
- Immunity to ultraviolet;
- Ecological - after pouring, they do not release harmful substances into the air, bacteria and microbes do not settle on them;
- Fire resistance and stability at high temperature exposure;
- Immunity to chemicals - therefore, you can use any means for washing;
- High speed of installation - no need to pre-level the base, and if you wish to fill the floor with your own hands it will not be difficult even for the beginner;
- A wide range of designs - from single-color surfaces to 3D images, from matte to glossy textures. Due to the decorative layer or acrylic chips under the epoxy / polyurethane layer of the filling floor, it is possible to create a marble or stone floor covering.
- The service life is very long - this is both a plus and a minus, since the self-leveling floor (especially floors with a bright and complex design, for example with a 3D effect) can quickly get bored;
- Polymer floor has a high strength, which is also good on one side, and on the other - dismantling will be complicated;
- Some species eventually turn yellow under the influence of ultraviolet from the sun;
- It is necessary to carefully monitor the moisture of the substrate during operation;
- The floor is an artificial material that not everyone likes.
- Polymer floor is colder than laminate or linoleum, but not colder than tiles.
Choose a design - photo of self-leveling floors in the interior of the kitchen
The floor can be inscribed in any interior, but most of all it is suitable for finishing the kitchen in a modern style - Scandinavian, modern, high-tech, minimalism and, of course, in the loft and industrial.
But for classical cuisine matte monophonic, or imitating a stone or wood of a covering are more suitable.
For finishing the kitchen in the style of minimalism and hi-tech seamless flooring - the best solution. It must be necessarily monophonic glossy or matte.
In the Scandinavian style, the floor design in the kitchen should also not be convoluted, the best color is white, but you can choose more bright or contrast colors. Or leave the floor in a rough draft.
The floor in the interior of the kitchen in the style of loft and industrial should not be decorative. Screed without gloss in this design will be more appropriate.
In modern modern, gloss is most appropriate. The glossy bulk floor must be a one-tone neutral color.
Neutral, universal and safe flooring floors - matte surfaces of white, dairy, gray (concrete) and brown (wood) color. Keep in mind that white color is not the most practical, but it is he who visually makes the kitchen lighter and more spacious, and also becomes a wonderful background for both bright and strict decoration of the kitchen.
With the complex design of floors with drawings and, especially with the effect of 3D, you need to be very careful. Such elegant floors create a sense of disorder, visually make the kitchen less, oblige for restrained decoration of the rest of the kitchen and most importantly - they quickly get bored.
The choice is made - we start work ourselves
In addition, before the process of creating a mixture and its pouring, it is necessary to prepare:
- Lighthouses - guides, which will fill the floor. They indicate the level of filling, and also ensure the smoothness of the surface. In addition, they provide the necessary clearance between the floor and the walls. Most often, wooden beams are used as beacons.
- To work requires a stock of water. After all, the prepared mixture freezes very quickly.
Filling your own floors, draw more water into the tub. So you will be insured against unforeseen interruptions in water supply.
- Professional shoes with spike attachments, so-called "cats". The nozzles with studs made of steel allow a person to move along the freshly ground floor without any traces.
Work on self-pouring liquid floors is best done with a partner. After all, the prepared mixture dries up very quickly, and the two can work at an accelerated pace.
Properly prepare and ground the foundation
How to make a self-leveling floor? The first stage is the preparation of the foundation. It can not be leveled "in a plane", but it is necessary to clear from oil and glue stains, debris, dust. Otherwise, the liquid coating will not be able to mesh with the base completely and air bubbles will remain.
Mandatory repair of cracks and discontinuities in the old coating. Especially it concerns wooden floors. If this is not done, the composition will "leak" through the cracks.
It should be noted that the floor has excellent self-leveling properties, but still no significant differences in heights. Therefore, in some cases it will still be necessary to carry out the screed. Also, it is important to measure the moisture of the substrate.
After the base is cleaned, it must be primed, and the primer mixture is especially carefully applied in the corners of the room. Which primer is right for you? Choose a universal film-forming primer or a deep penetration primer if the substrate is moisture absorbing. To determine this, you can pour a little water on the surface - if the water quickly absorbed, it is better to use a primer of deep penetration. If in doubt - take the universal.
In the future, this will avoid flaws. The primer remains to dry for 24 hours - after that you can start work.
Prepare the mixture and fill the floor
So, how to make a self-leveling floor? As already noted, self-leveling mixtures differ in composition, and each has its own characteristics and cooking rules. Therefore, a compound consisting of two interacting components is bred, in strict accordance with the instructions presented on the package.
- The mixture must be mixed very carefully, paying special attention to the corners of the container, so that there are no elements left unreacted there;
- It is necessary to fill the mixture in the water, and not vice versa. Otherwise, the mixture will be lumps.
As a result, a homogeneous viscous mass should be obtained. Now you have 20-30 minutes to get started.
The mixture is poured onto a clean surface and distributed on the base with a doctor blade or spatula. The distributed mixture is rolled several times with a needle roller, carefully eliminating air bubbles.
Rolling should be stopped at the moment when you notice an increase in the viscosity of the mixture.
The mixture is poured immediately over the whole area of the kitchen. Therefore, we need a partner - one will apply the mixture, and the second - to prepare a new composition.
To obtain a quality kitchen coating, it is recommended to fill in two stages. Thus, the overall characteristics of the coating are improved. First, the base layer is formed and allowed to dry for a few days. After that, fill the finish layer.
For more information on how to properly fill the floor with a self-leveling mixture with your own hands, see the training video of the famous master Alexei Zemskov.
The base layer hides all the basic "errors" of the base, so it is performed with an increased thickness. The finishing layer, unlike the base layer, has a thickness of only a few millimeters. And only after the top layer completely dries, a protective coating layer is applied from above. It is important to apply the lacquer without any gaps, to the entire surface completely. After all, the finish top layer has nothing to do with the protection, and if you do not apply a varnish, then on the floor very quickly there will be ugly scratches.
With regard to the drying time of the coating, it is indicated on the packaging - manufacturer recommendations should be fully maintained. Prior to the drying of the coating, any significant effects on it - and direct sunlight, and significant temperature changes, and high humidity, and directed mechanical effects should be avoided.
How you can decorate the filling kitchen floors
Since liquid floors in the kitchen are applied in two layers, you can place an image on special paper between them or decorate the base layer with acrylic or polymer paints (in airbrushing technique). Between the two layers of the bulk floor can be placed and stones, and sand or special acrylic chips.
This is how the decorative floor filler with the pattern is formed.
But this looks like a device of a polymeric floor with a substrate made of acrylic chips.