If the purchase of new blinds does not fit into your plans or budget, but you have one free evening and a charge of creative inspiration, then we suggest that you make the blinds yourself from improvised means.
We made 2 step-by-step master-classes, how to make blinds with our own hands and 1 master class on how to update and beautifully zadekorirovat horizontal blinds.
Master-class №1: Blinds-Pleated from Wallpapers
You can make such paper blinds in just a couple of hours, and if you still have wallpaper after repair, then you do not even have to go to the store. Will serve blinds-pleated for about a year, and then you can just make new ones, because this is so simple, beautiful and economical. And paper blinds are great for decorating windows of country houses and joint creativity with children.
To make the blinds from the wallpaper as in the photo above you will need:
- A roll of paper wallpaper (only suitable for paper, since vinyl and non-woven fabric can not be assembled into an accordion);
- Auxiliary materials: scissors or clerical cutter, ruler, pencil;
- Shilo or punch (better awl);
- The rope is longer than the window height and 5-7 mm thick or a thin satin ribbon;
- A retainer with a suitable color finish;
- If desired, two more ribbons of any width and 2.5 times longer than the height of the window. These ribbons are needed only for decoration;
- Two-sided adhesive tape (or glue) and Velcro to the tone of the wallpaper, if you want to make curtains with a "swag" on the edge.
- First you need to cut a piece of wallpaper of the desired length from the calculation: the height of the window + 30 cm. Then you need to assemble the canvas into an accordion. You can do it by sight, but the pleating will be more accurate if you first spread the wallpaper from the reverse side to strips 2.5-3 cm wide. The ruler will exactly help you to flex the wallpaper, and iron and fix the bends-a pencil or a pen.
- Now the resulting accordion from the wallpaper should be collected, measured and marked with the middle on the first "lamella" and made in this place through hole with an awl. You can also use a hole punch, but then you'll have to drill holes in parts and holes will not be obtained in the middle of the "slats", but slightly closer to the edge, but they will be more accurate and wide. Next, take the rope and run it through the entire accordion. If the rope is synthetic, its tip can be burned a little, so that it turns out to be sharp, then it will be easier to insert a rope into the holes.
- The end of the rope on the first upper "lamella" should be tied in a knot so that it does not slip out of the hole, and the tip itself can either be left to bind the curtains to the cornice, or cut if you want to glue and fasten the curtains directly to the window frame.
- At this stage, you can also glue a solid base to the first lamella, for example, cardboard, a plastic corner or a thin rail so that you can hang the blinds on the windows with it.
- On the lower tip of the rope (at the bottom of the curtains), we put on the lock and collect our curtains to the desired level. Now on the right and left ends of the wallpaper we glue the Velcro with glue or double-sided tape, then glue these Velcro and ... woo-ala! We get blinds-pleated with "svag".
- And finally, we attach our curtains to the window.
- If you want to make horizontal blinds without a svag, then you need to make through holes in two places, as shown in the picture on the right. And, of course, in this case, you will need either two ropes, or one long one. And to make horizontal blinds more interesting, you can decorate them with ribbons, which, in addition, hide the ropes and fix the curtains at the desired level. An example of such decor look at the photo below.
- Instead of a lock, you can use a button of the appropriate size with two or three holes as shown in the photo below.
- Of course, each workpiece-accordion can be cut to the width. But, as a rule, wallpapers of standard width of 53-55 cm are quite suitable for a standard window. But if you need more shutters, then you can choose wallpaper with a width of 1 m.
But a selection of photos of different ideas for your inspiration.
Master-class №2: Blinds from newspaper tubes
If you prefer ethno or eco-style, then you can make paper blinds from newspapers, or rather from newspaper tubes. This method will require a little more time and effort from you, but they will last for longer.
- Advice: if you want, instead of newspaper tubes, you can use wooden twigs, plastic tubes or reeds.
To make blinds from newspaper tubes you will need:
- For one window with a height of 1 m, it is necessary to prepare about 200 painted and dried newspaper tubes with a length slightly more than the width of the window;
- Auxiliary materials: scissors and PVA glue;
- The rope of the rope in the tone of the tubes, for example, for blinds in ethno or eco-style, a twine from jute or simply from a nylon;
- Rings for curtains (2 pcs.);
- If desired, a retainer with an end piece in order to make the lifting mechanism.
How to properly twist the newspaper tubes and lengthen them, see this video tutorial from experienced masters Elena Tishchenko:
And here's a useful video about how to paint newspaper tubes from Elena Tishchenko:
- Tip: dye the tubes, imitating the cane rods, you can stain brown, beige, beige-olive or gray-beige.
- The newspaper tubes are laid out in a row on the floor and leveled;
- We begin to connect the tubes with each other: we add a long rope in half, tie the ring to fix it to the window, tie one or two knots, then tie the first tube and do 1-2 knots, take the second knot and repeat the steps until all the tubes are will contact. Then we proceed to bind tubules from the opposite edge, but this can be done in parallel with the first row.
- Tip: You can connect the tubes with a chain of air loops as shown in the photo to the right.
- Now we need to align the edges of the blinds. To do this, we mark the line with the line of cutting off the newspaper twigs (along the whole curtain line) and gently cut off the excess with scissors, moving from the bottom up.
- Finally, we begin to manufacture the lifting mechanism. To do this, simply tie one eyelet to the top and bottom edge of the curtain (in the middle), from the back of the blinds, thread and fasten the rope to the lower loop, and then pull it into the upper loop. On the tip of the rope, you need to put on a clip with a tip to pull the rope, you could easily lift the curtain half and fix it in this position.
Master-class №3: Decor of blinds
Boring "office" plastic, bamboo or wooden blinds can be updated and decorated with their own hands especially for the color scheme and style of the interior of the room.
To decorate the blinds as in the photo above you will need:
- Wallpaper or any colored paper;
- Plastic, wooden or bamboo blinds;
- Glue PVA and brush;
- Ruler, pencil.
- We measure the width, length and number of lamellas;
- On the roll of wallpaper we draw strips in the same number and the same width and length as the lamellas;
- Then mark the markings on the markings of the holes in which the ropes are threaded - here the strips will need to be cut into three parts so that in the future we can bypass these places in the process of laminating the lamellas;
- We cut the strips along the marked lines and, as already mentioned, each strip is cut into three parts. If you need to save a picture or pattern of wallpaper, then you need to cut the paper in strict sequence, and to avoid tangling, on the reverse side you can make notes;
- Finally, glue the paper strips on the lamellae. It is not terrible, if the strips will not lie exactly, in the end, the flaws will not be very noticeable.