There are several ways of sewing tablecloths, because the corners and side sections of the fabric can be processed in different ways. In this material, we described the traditional and basic method, mastering which you can sew yourself not only festive or daily tablecloths, but also kitchen napkins, towels and runners with neat corners and edges.
To sew a tablecloth with your own hands you will need:
- A cut of a suitable fabric needs a size (from what material it is better to sew a tablecloth read in the article "Selecting a table cloth in 6 steps", In the same master class, tablecloth was made of linen);
- Threads in tone of fabric and decorative finishes;
- Sewing machine;
- Sewing Supplies: tailor scissors, ruler, tape measure, pins, thimble, nitkovdevatel, crayon or marker;
- Decor if desired (it can be: sewing, fringing, fringe, lace, braid, etc.);
Step 1. Calculate the consumption of tissue
- Measure the length and width of the countertop;
- Determine the desired length of the fabric overhang, that is, the distance from the edge of the countertop to the edge of the future tablecloth.
- The overhang of the fabric can be 20-40 cm or have a length in the floor. The longer the overhang, the more elegant the tablecloth will look, but the more inconvenient it is to use, so the length of the overhang is 20-30 cm for the everyday version;
- Determining the length of the overhang, take into account the percentage of shrinkage of the fabric after washing - for the cotton cloth and burlap, add 10 cm to the desired length of the overhang, 10-15 cm for linen. You can go the other way - before washing, and then ironing the fabric well.
- Now take the paper and the pen and calculate the consumption of the fabric by the following simple formula:
- Note that in this formula, the allowance for a 5 cm crochet is indicated, and the hem itself will be just 4 cm wide.
Step 2. We cut the fabric
Smooth the fabric, if necessary, then spread it on the work surface, make notes with a ruler and a pencil, and then cut off the excess, patterns for a simple rectangular or square tablecloth are not needed.
- The best way to outline the cut line is to pull the thread out of the fabric. To do this, you need to make a small incision in the right place, pull and carefully pull out the thread, which will be your guide.
Step 3. Process the corners
Now we need to decorate the corners so that they look beautiful even from the wrong side. For this:
- We lay the fabric on the table face down, bend its edges 1 cm to the wrong side, fix the bends with pins (if necessary, we plan) and iron over the entire perimeter of the fabric.
- Further on both sides of the corner we measure the lengths 2 times more than the width of the hem (planned in this master class, the width of the hem is planned to be 4 cm, so a distance of 8 cm is measured from the corner). Then both notes should be combined with a ruler and a pencil.
- Fold the fabric in the corner (the wrong side out) along so that the marks coincide and fix the place of folding with pins. Then we spend the corner on the markings.
- Surplus in the corner cut off, leaving only 5 mm allowance from the seam. Also trim the edge of the remaining allowance at the fold diagonally as shown in the photo below. This must be done in order to twist the corner of the tablecloth exactly.
- We turn out the corner, we correct and iron it. Next, in the described way, we process the remaining 3 corners of the tablecloth. That's what you should get.
Step 4: Straighten the hem
And finally, we begin to process the sides: we iron the folds of the whole tablecloth, fix it with pins and we spread it (from the inside out) on the machine or in the hand by a hidden seam at a distance of 1 mm from the bend.
Step 5. We decorate the tablecloth
При желании вы можете украсить получившееся изделие кружевом, аппликациями, бахромой, воланами и рюшами, вышить монограммы и узоры. Увидеть красивые скатерти с оригинальным декором в разном стиле от прованса до классики и вдохновиться на творчество вам поможет все та же статья «Selecting a table cloth in 6 steps».
Decor of the tablecloth in the style of Provence: a cotton tablecloth is decorated with pratoborennymi strips of sacking
In the next video tutorial you will be able to see not only the complete process of sewing a tablecloth, but also its decoration.
In our master class, we have considered only the method of sewing a rectangular or square tablecloth, but how to sew a decoration for a round table? We offer a video lesson on how you can easily cut the fabric for a round tablecloth without using a pattern and process its slices with an oblique tack or gluey cobweb.